Thursday, January 1, 2009

Renee's "Top Ten" Lists


2008 was a huge year for me--one that I will never forget! Filled with both trials and tribulations, it was a year marked by growth, change, and reflection. In moments of pain, doubt, and confusion I turned to His Word for comfort and for answers. But I also found insight and instruction in many books, and comfort in many songs, including the ones below. Through the year God was gracious and merciful to bring me out of the pain, to a place of authentic joy and peace. Transformed and renewed, I celebrate His Love today as I share the lists of books & CDs that inspired me most this past year.

Praying that you will feel His presence and receive His blessings in 2009,
Happy New Year,
Renee

Top 10 Books I Read in 2008

10 The Divine Conspiracy, Dallas Willard, 1997 (it’s only last on the list because I’m not quite finished)
9 Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrims Progress, Oliver Hunkin, 1985, (a children’s book- read with Tristan)
8 Soul Revolution, John Burke, 2007
7 Hinds Feet on High Places, Hannah Hurnard, 1955
6 Desires in Conflict, Joe Dallas, 1991

5 Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster, 1978
4 The Shack, William P. Young, 2007
3 The Knowledge of the Holy, AW Tozer, 1961
2 Pursuit of Holiness and Practice of Godliness, Jerry Bridges, 1978
1 The Bible (I’m currently enjoying “The Chronological Bible”- thanks Mom!)

Earth’s crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God. But only he who sees takes off his shoes; the rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.--Elizabeth Barrett Browning (as quoted in The Shack)

When we are holding on to some sin, we are not pursuing holiness and we cannot have fellowship with God.--Jerry Bridges, The Pursuit of Holiness

The world's version of battle and joy is striving and indulgence. If you walk with God it's an intense battle but authentic joy. The battle will find you but you have to be intentional about the joy.--John Eldridge, Walking with God

Sincere prayer comes from a heart that longs for God to reveal what He desires.--Swindoll, So You Want to Be Like Christ?

To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart. --A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

Our pursuit of God is successful because He is forever seeking to manifest Himself to us--A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

Top 10 CDs that I Bought in 2008

10 ManĂ¡, Arde el Cielo (En Vivo)
9 Eliza Gilkyson, Beautiful World
8 Bebo Norman, Bebo Norman
7 Devin Garza, Every Reason
6 Third Day, Revelation
5 Downhere, Ending is Beginning
4 Aaron Shust, Whispered and Shouted

3 Jeremy Camp, Speaking Louder than Before
2 Rush of Fools, Wonder of the World
1 Tenth Avenue North, Over and Underneath


Your ways are high They're not our own And You are seated at Your throne And it's Your love that gives us hope That You will never let us go --Rush of Fools

Turn me around, pick me up, undo what I've become; Bring me back to the place of forgiveness and grace; I need You, need Your help I can't do this myself; You’re the only one who can undo what I've become--Rush of Fools

At first I am afraid but not because of fear But the Holy of Holies is drawing me near Your voice like thunder shakes the ground I'm on So hide my face in the shadow of Your wings, oh Lord hide my sin from the beauty here before Your throne--Tenth Avenue North

Your love has stolen my heart; Your love has set me apart; Your love is life in my veins; And all my mistakes fade away So find me and stop me and take me, and save me!--Rush of Fools

Consume me with your fire, cleanse me with your rain Purify me, let me glorify your name Wash away my empty past until only Your love remains --Tenth Avenue North

No comments: