Friday, December 19, 2008

Who am I?

What is man, that you are mindful of him? The son of man that you care for him? -Psalm 8:4

An excerpt from my journal, December 8, 2008

When I sit and meditate on the majesty, the greatness, and the perfect character of my Savior and God, I am overwhelmed by a feeling of insignificance and incredibly honored to be called His own.
.
God is sovereign. He is righteous. He is just. He is omnipresent, omnipowerful, and omnipotent. He is immutable and truthful; merciful, compassionate, and faithful. God is LOVE. God is solitary in His excellency and holiness. 'Who is like unto Thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like Thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?' (Exo 15:11).

He is sinless, and I am a sinner who only by His grace was forgiven and saved. He is flawless and I can't even type a short email without making a mistake. He is selfless; I struggle daily with pride, anger, discontentment, and selfishness.

Today as I was driving from LaFortuna to Tamarindo I was listening to my Baptism CD. Not long after the song "Who Am I" (Casting Crowns) started playing, I rounded a mountain curve and the fog that I had been driving in for miles suddenly cleared, revealing a beautiful mountainside and a lake in the distance. As the song played on and I looked out my window, a rush came over me. My eyes filled with tears as the lyrics and sights simply overtook me. I found a place to pull over, to sit and savor this "moment" with God. Here's are the lyrics that moved me so...

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt? Who am I, that the bright and morning star would choose to light the way for my ever wandering heart? Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin would look on me with love, and watch me rise again? Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea would call out through the rain, and calm the storm in me?

Not because of who I am, but because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done, but because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow, a wave tossed in the ocean, a vapor in the wind. Still you hear me when I'm calling. Lord, you catch me when I'm falling. And you've told me who I am... I am yours. I am Yours.

What a humbling moment! Through tear filled eyes I prayed out loud...

Father, what a privilege it is to be Your child. And what a comfort to know I can jump into your loving arms and rest there forever. You care for me and call me Your beloved. I have nothing to fear, for you will guard and sheild me, and catch me when I fall. How underserving am I of such love and mercy.

Father, when I feel insignificant, remind me that I am Yours. When I search for my identity, show me who I am in You. And help me to rest in that knowledge, content and thankful...neither needing or asking to be anything more. Amen.
Coming next: Bought at a price

No comments: