"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." - Frederick Buechner
This time God is calling me to Haiti.
My plane is about to depart Miami and I'm stirring with emotion. To some degree I have been ever since I was told I'd be going. Truthfully, I never expected this trip to unfold. When I decided to take a few weeks off in March I was pretty set on spending them in Equador & the Gallapagos. And if that didn't work out, there was always Nicaragua...or even Colorado. But Haiti? It wasn't even on my list.
In December I started asking God to show me where to go and what to do with the time off. I hoped it would include a remote destination (because it always helps me gain perspective) but I was willing to go anywhere-- or nowhere at all. I just wanted some extended time with Him and I wanted Him to plan the trip. That was it.
And plan it He did!
Renee
One earthquake and two cancelled flights later, I'm now headed to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to serve as a volunteer physician with MercyWorks and YWAM. If things go as planned I'll be stationed at a make-shift OB/GYN clinic in the police headquarters across from the national palace. If they don't, I could be anywhere doing anything, like others before me.
My stomach is turning with excitement and nervousness. Not only is this my first time to Haiti, but it's my first time to serve on a disaster relief team. (I'm expecting many other "firsts" on this trip.)
I hope that I will be able to Blog along the way, to share my experiences and specific prayer requests as they surface. For now, please pray for safety in travel and for appropriate placement--for work and "housing"--once I arrive. Pray that the Lord would use me to bring comfort and healing to those who are mourning, injured, and in need. Pray that I would be an encouragement to others on the relief team, especially those with long term assignments there.
Grateful for the call & for your support,

1 comment:
You know you are in my prayers! I hope you can keep us updated.
Post a Comment