Thursday, May 19, 2011

Divine Nobodies


"Sometimes it’s not the professor or preacher leading you to divine truth but the commonplace people God sticks right in front of your face." -Jim Palmer, Divine NobodiesI love books, and I love sharing them--especially books about freedom. Whether it's freedom "FROM" (things like worry, addiction, shame, or religion) or freedom "TO" (to live, to love, to learn, to make mistakes--just to name a few), I love stories about breaking free!

The next book I'll be buying in bulk and sharing widely with friends is Divine Nobodies by Jim Palmer. I tracked it down after listening to a God Journey podcast from early last year where Wayne & Brad have a conversation with Jim about "Living Beyond the System ". It's one of best reads I've had in a long, long time. And it's all about living free.

You can learn more about Jim's story on the podcast, on his website, or in the book itself. But some of the freedoms that come out in the wonderful stories contained in this book include:

Freedom FROM...religion & striving, "the need to do something spectacular for God."; from dependency on church services, programs, & clergy; from endless rules and dutiful sacrifices, and the temptation to label others on their outside appearance alone; freedom from the need to control.

Freedom TO...stop trying to earn God's love and simply begin to receive it. To live in the Spirit and "be salt and light right where you are". To admit to depression, to fear, to dependency on the Bible over it's author. To step outside the walls of the church and in to a Waffle House in order to be "the case for Christ a cynical waitress most needs". To find your heart. To "come alongside others to share their burdens without trying to rescue them". To start over. To love. To be a Divine Nobody.

This book is a delightful read: honest and humble; convicting, touching to the point of tears and very entertaining. The only time I put it down after starting it was to sleep, and I was ready to read it again even before I finished. It's that good. Let me know if you don't agree.

1 comment:

Teena said...

Hi Renee,

I just watched your panel speaking (3 of you) at Gateway Church which was some time ago. I have a cousin in-law who grew up in a Christian home and has just announced to the family that she is moving in with her girlfriend. I don't know her all that well, she is a cousin in-law, but I do know that I have not judged her and I love her and I pray one day she allows the love of God to redefine her because I have experienced the love of God for me and that has redefined me. I hope one day, if it is God's will, that I would feel God's timing to forward the video of your panel speaking at Gateway to her. Thank-you for your willingness to let God use your journey to send the message of his love to each one of us, gay or not.

Much love