Monday, October 12, 2009

A God Encounter


Have you ever had a God encounter? A miraculous, powerful, or indescribable event that results in life change within you? If you have, it is likely that you became well aquainted with two strongly opposing forces: Jesus and Satan, light and darkness. In a God encounter they collide.

The reason both sides are noticably present in the midst of a life-changing event or a healing is because one side has much to gain, and the other has much to lose. The devil hates the potential of a God encounter, and will do anything to try to stop it. When a person comes face to face with God, and is changed as a result, they become infectious and contagious, and often, an unstoppable force in the Kingdom. They cannot keep their story to themselves, they want and need to share it with others. Even more so, a changed person is anxious to see others experience the freedom they have found, and they set out to help others discover the love of the Father & the power of the cross. At least this was my experience.

An infectious, contagious, high-on-Jesus life change is a great threat to the enemy. Which explains why he will try to undermine it in every way possible. The attack of the enemy against such events is well illustrated in chapter 9 of John through the story of Jesus' healing of a blind man. From verse 1 to 34, the blind man faces others who are are doubting and skeptical about Jesus' accomplishment in his life. It's as if no one but the blind man himself wants to testify to God's hand in the healing. No one wants Jesus to get the glory.

Look at the number and diversity of people in this story who opposed God's miraculous work of healing in the blind man's life. Five groups of people tried to undermine his transformation: the disciples, the neighbors, the Pharisees, the Jews, and even his parents! This illustrates well the wide variety of ways that the enemy can attack: through the familiar and through the foreign. If you've had a God encounter of your own, pause for a minute and take inventory of the forces and voices that opposed you and the work God did in your life.
.
The 5 groups of people seen in this chapter and the voices they represent are:

1) the disciples: the voice of reason... "who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?" (i.e. there has to be a logical explanation for his affliction)
2) the neighbors: the voice of familiarity..."Isn't this the same man who used to sit and beg?" (sometimes the people who find it hardest to accept transformation in Christ are those that are most familiar with who we were before we changed)
3) the Pharisees: the opposing voice of religion..."this man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath" (sometimes even believers cannot believe in the radical life change that God produces)
4) the Jews: the voice of unbelief..."Is this your son, one you say was born blind?" (sometimes the voice of unbelief is strongest in ourselves)
5) His parents: the voice of fear..."How he can now see we do not know, nor do we know who opened his eyes." (spoken in fear of persecution)

From his family to his neighbors to the religious people of the community, everyone expressed doubt. And while they could doubt and they could judge they could not deny what had changed: a man once blind now could see! This man would never be the same again--how could he be? For the first time in his entire life, he had vision! Can you imagine? A miracle had occurred. He had much to celebrate, so why in the world would he keep that to himself?

In the summer of 2008 I had a God encounter of my own. A light was cast on a corner of my life I had kept "hidden" from God for 20 years, and for the first time in my life I was powerfully convicted of this unconfessed sin. As the Holy Spirit helped me to confront the sin struggle, I slowly gained the strength I need to surrender it fully to Him. I confessed it: first to God, then to others, and repented of it, vowing to move forward in obedience. Surrendered to God, I recommitted my life to Him through baptism. I felt a freedom and joy that I'd never known, and I was engulfed with a supernatural peace that I had never before known. Like the blind man, I wanted to shout my story from every roof top, to tell it to every person I passed on the street. I was a new person. I was free. And I could not be silent.
.
As I began to share my own story of deliverance, I encountered many voices of uncertainty and discouragement. At times I felt enveloped by them: they seemed to be everywhere. Voices of doubt, criticism, and disbelief. They came from friends: both gay and straight, churched and unchurched. They came from family. They even came from church! The enemy attempted to use these voices to confuse and conflict me, and detour me from the path I had already chosen. But I could not be deceived: His joy filled my heart and His truth filled my mind. His protection was over me.

Why does the enemy hate God encounters so much? It's because great things are birthed out of these moments. A God encounter gives purpose and direction to your life. It leads to greater intimacy with Jesus. And, it results in a sense of responsibility and accountability. A feeling grows indside you that says, "I must do something; God has touched me and He has a call on my life".

Have you had such an encounter with God? Have you seen one in someone close to you? If so, have you seen the way that Satan tries to undermine what is happening? It's not just a tug of war--it's a battle! God is glorified through radical life change. When someone finds salvation, when someone has a vision for the Kingdom, when someone moves beyond their sin, their addiction, their failure, their false identity, and finds truth and life in Him, the enemy simply can't stand it!

When Jesus was asked who had sinned that this man would be born blind, he replied, "It happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." All God encounters happen for this reason, so it should come as no surprise that the enemy works so hard to defeat them. Being aware of this is our first defense.

Father, I pray today that Your transforming work will be fully displayed in my life, and that You would be the only one glorified by my God encounter and by the changes others see in me. Keep me awake and alert and aware of Satan's presence, even in the voices that surround me. Guide me along the path you have laid out for me, aware of my purpose and my role in the kingdom. Keep me accountable and motivated to do your work, to share my story and my faith. May others encounter God through me and find a newfound freedom. Amen


I thank Brian Houston, pastor of Hillsong church Australia, for opening my eyes to John 9 and teaching me about the power of a God encounter at Hillsong Encounter weekend, summer 09.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Renee,

Great post- thanks for sharing! A couple of weeks ago someone had linked your testimony, along with the other two from Gateway, on their website and I watched the entire video! I have since shared the video clip with others who I know were also uplifted & encouraged by it as I was. I commend all of you for the incredible courage & boldness it took to be so honest and open. I too am a female christian, in my early 40's, who has dealt with same sex attractions all my life but I have never acted out on it. It helps me so much to hear stories like yours and of others who have walked down similar paths. I know we are living in a day and age in which homosexuality is becoming much more accepted and I believe it is going to become more difficult to take the stand that we do(even within the church-how sad). I just want to encourage you and to say how cool I think it is about the decision you have made to follow God with all your heart and to walk in obedience. Thanks for being a blessing and I pray that the Lord continues to bless you in all that you say and do!!!